“He was an exceptional individual who was very studious, quiet, courteous, and full of vim and vigor.”
A native Texan, Judge Floyd Louis Jackson graduated from Devol High School in 1922 and graduated with his law degree from the University of Oklahoma in 1927. He opened his practice in Texas before returning to Walters, Oklahoma, in 1931 as Cotton County Attorney and opening his private practice there in 1936. He served in the military and was a member of the Foreign Claims Organization created to adjust claims against the United States in Belgium in 1944. He returned to Walters in 1946 and was appointed District Judge until he moved to Oklahoma City and was sworn in as Justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court in 1955. Jackson served as Chief Justice from 1967 to 1968 and retired from the bench in 1973.
As District Judge, Floyd Jackson presided over many citizenship ceremonies and, sensing the newcomers’ need for understanding American life, organized with his wife the Lawton-Fort Sill International Club.
Jackson came to Cotton County, Oklahoma, in 1914 and graduated from Devol High School.